Recipe courtesy of Alinea
Visit the website Alinea – Mosaic, where you can order a signed copy of the book.
Recipe courtesy of Alinea, Chicago
Visit the web site for a signed copy of the cookbook: Alinea – Mosaic
- 100 g (3.5 oz) Yukon Gold potato
- 225 g (7.9 oz) black truffle juice
- 500 g (1 lb 1.6 oz) heavy cream
- 25 g (.9 oz) white truffle oil
- 5 g (.2 oz) kosher salt
- Maldon sea salt
Peel potato and cut into 1/2-inch (1.3-cm) dice. In medium saucepan, bring potato and truffle juice to a boil over
high heat. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes, or until potato is tender. Add cream, return to
a simmer, and then remove from heat. Transfer to blender and blend until smooth. With blender running on high
speed, add truffle oil in thin, steady stream. Add salt and blend briefly. Strain through chinois into covered container. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
- 1 medium Yukon Gold potato, unpeeled
- 450 g (15.9 oz) clarified butter
Using 1/2-inch (1.3-cm) parisienne scoop, scoop out balls of potato flesh. In small saucepan, cook clarified butter and potato balls over medium heat for about 20 minutes, or until tender. Butter will bubble, but balls will not brown. Remove from heat and set aside in pan until needed.
30 g (1.1 oz) unsalted butter, very cold
Cut butter into 1/8-inch (3-mm) cubes, dipping knife in hot water and wiping dry before each cut. Freeze until needed.
30 g (1.1 oz) Parmesan cheese
Cut Parmesan into small chunks about 1/8 inch (3 mm) wide.
Cut chives on bias into 1/2-inch (1.3-cm) lengths.
2 fresh PŽrigord black truffles
Using mandoline or truffle slicer, cut truffle into very thin slices.
To assemble and serve
1. Pierce side of paraffin bowl with stainless-steel pin.
2. Slide 1 Parmesan chunk, 1 butter cube butter, and 1 chive length onto pin, spacing them about 1/4 inch (6 mm) apart.
3. Fill paraffin bowl about halfway with potato soup.
4. Refrigerate bowl.
5. Gently reheat potato balls in clarified butter.
6. Remove soup-filled bowl from refrigerator.
7. Slide 1 hot potato ball onto pin, and drape ball with 1 slice truffle.
8. Top with Maldon sea salt flake.