- Whole fresh rainbow trout, cleaned and gutted
- juice of 3 limes
- salt and pepper to taste
- onion, sliced
- lemon wedges
- flour tortillas
1. Place whole gutted trout in a large glass or stainless steel pan. Cut limes in half and squeeze juice over the fish, refrigerate and marinate for 1 hour.
2. Heat a charcoal or gas grill to high.
3. Wrap tortillas in foil and warm in 250F oven.
To grill trout:
1. Remove the fish from the marinade, pat dry.
2. Season inside of the fish with salt and pepper. Stuff the cavity with sliced onion, lemon wedges and a few pats of butter.
3. Make four slices in the skin on each side and insert lemon slices.
4. Wrap the whole fish in foil and place on medium hot grill. Cook 10 to 12 minutes per side for a 3- to 4- pound fish. Remove when internal temperature reaches 140F.
5. Place the trout on a cutting board and remove skin. Remove the bones (they should come out as one piece), leaving two fillets.
6. Shred the meat with two forks.
Remove the tortillas from the oven. Place two tortillas partially overlapping on a large plate. Place four heaping tablespoons of the shredded fish in the center of the tortillas.
Serve with a spicy tomato salsa, a zesty lemon mayonnaise or a simple sour cream dill sauce.I opted for the sour cream dill sauce. Enjoy with Whitecliff Chardonnay, Awosting White or Traminette.