Sweet Yeast Dough
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 2 packages dry granular yeast
- 3/4 cup scalded milk, lukewarm
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sweet butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 whole eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- grated rind of 1 lemon
- 4 1/2 – 5 cups of sifted flour
Poppy Seed Filling:
- 1 cup of poppy seeds
- 1/3 cup of honey or sugar
- 1 teaspoon of grated lemon rind
- 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts
- 1 egg white
- 1can of almond paste
Sweet Yeast Dough:
- Dissolve sugar in lukewarm water and sprinkle the yeast over it. Let stand until softened
- Combine the lukewarm milk with the and 3/4 cup of flour. Mix well, cover and let the yeast rise in a warm place until light and bubbly.
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Beat the whole eggs, salt and the egg yolks together. Combine with the sugar/butter mixture, mixing thoroughly
- Stir in the lemon rind, vanilla, and yeast dough.
- Add the flour and knead in the bowl for about 10 minutes. The dough should be soft.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubles in size/bulk.
- Punch down, knead a few times and let rise again.
- Split the dough in half (one will be for the poppy seed roll and the other for the almond rolls)
Poppy Seed Filling
While the dough is rising, create the fillings:
- Place poppy seeds in a medium size bowl. Pour boiling water over the poppy seeds and drain.
- Cover with lukewarm water and let stand for 30 – 40 minutes
- Drain over a fine sieve.
- Grind poppy seeds by using an electric grinder.
- Add the sugar or honey, grated lemon rind, and nuts
- Beat the egg white until stiff and fold into the mixture
The Almond filling can be bought, and used right from the can
Making the Rolls
- Divide the dough into 2 equal parts
- Sprinkle some flour onto your kitchen counter.
- With a roller, roll the dough into a long rectangle about 1/4 inch thick
- Spread the poppy seed filling.
- Roll the dough from the bottom of the long side to the top
- Pull the sides outward to stretch the width an bit and seal the edges of the side
- Place on a greased baking sheet and prick the tops some to let the air out
- Cover and let it rise in a warm place until the yeast doubles in size/bulk
- Repeat steps to make the Almond Rolls
- Turn the oven up to 375 degrees.
- Brush the top of the rolls with a beaten egg diluted with 2 tablespoons of water or milk
- (option) Top both rolls with 3 tablespoons chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans or almonds)
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Lower the temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 30 minutes or until done. Check on the rolls after 20 minutes and if they are starting to brown too quickly, cover with aluminum foil
- Remove the rolls from the oven, let stand for 5 minutes before moving to a plate.
- Let cool completely before cutting/serving.