When you are dating a southern gal or guy, it is a nice gesture to master a dish to make them feel truly at home. For some good old southern cookin’ try this easy to make Lamb Creole Gumbo. And let the good times roll – or as the say in N’Awlins: “Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez”!
- 1 pound American Lamb leg or shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 lemon, sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen sliced okra, defrosted
- 1 can (15 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- Coat lamb with flour.
- In large pan with cover, heat oil over medium-hot heat. Add lamb and brown.
- Stir in tomatoes, broth, wine, parsley, lemon, salt, thyme, bay leaf and garlic.
- Simmer, covered, 1-1/2 hours.
- Add okra and black-eyed peas. Cook 10 to 15 additional minutes.
- Remove bay leaf before serving.