I’ve had a love of bacon since I was a little girl, whether it’s crispy strips on my breakfast plate or thick cut slices added on top of a burger. There’s something about bacon, both in it’s smell and taste that give it a certain allure. When you smell some being prepared, the wafting smell just draws you in, in an almost hypnotizing manner. If you have a love of bacon just as I do, you will enjoy this Bacon Book. This digital cookbook includes recipes that feature bacon as one of it’s main ingredients. Once you start trying these recipes, you may start experimenting and including bacon in everything that you make. Sign up here to receive your very own copy of the Bacon Book. – Liz
CARAMEL BACON BROWNIES / Adapted from Savour Fare by StephsBiteByBite.com
For the Bacon Caramel
- 4 slices of bacon
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- 1 cup of sugar
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- Fry four pieces of bacon in a small frying pan. Remove from pan and let cool on a plate covered that’s been covered with a sheet of paper towel. When bacon is cool, roug chop into small pieces. Keep bacon grease reserved in pan.
- Add heavy cream to the hot pan with bacon grease, and allow bacon cream to cool to room temperature.
- In large sauce pan heat sugar over high heat until the mixture is liquidy and a deep amber color.
- Add butter and bacon cream to pan and stir until butter is melted. Mixture will bubble up, makes sure to keep stirring.
- Mix in half of the chopped bacon, and let caramel cool to room temperature.
For the Brownies
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, cut in to pieces
- 6 oz semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 large eggs 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 slices of cooked bacon, chopped in to pieces
- Bacon Caramel Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line an 8 inch square pan with two sheets of aluminum foil that covers the bottom and sides of the pan. Spray pan with cooking spray.
- In a large microwaveable bowl add butter and the chocolate chips together. Microwave starting with 30 seconds, and stir thoroughly. Continue to microwave for 10 seconds at a time, stirring between each interval until mixture is melted. Don’t over microwave or the chocolate will burn.
- Add the cocoa powder, whisking until smooth, then add in the eggs, one at a time.
- Finally add the sugar, vanilla and then the flour. Stir until just combined, be careful not to over mix the batter.
- Scrape half of the batter into the prepared pan.
- Spread a third of the bacon caramel over the batter, top with remaining brownie batter.
- Drop spoonfuls of caramel over the top layer of brownie batter and use a knife to swirl the caramel through the brownie batter.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, you want them to be slightly underdone so that they remain gooey. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- Cut in to 9 even squares and enjoy!