Sometimes an elegant soup and a glass of champagne are all it takes for a special, satisfying and yes, seductive romantic meal for two and this recipe for Peruvian Shrimp Chowder would certainly entice me!
Peruvian Shrimp Chowder (Chupe de Camarones)
Recipe by Avocados from Peru
- 1 pound Hokkaido pumpkin
- 3/4 pound potatoes, peeled
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon crab or lobster paste
- 2/3 cup corn
- 3 ¾ cups vegetable stock
- 1 ½ cups coconut milk
- Wooden skewers
- 1 Peruvian avocado
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- Fresh cilantro
- 1/2 pound prawns
- Roughly dice pumpkin and potatoes. Cut the onion into quarters and mince the garlic.
- Lightly sauté in 3 tablespoons olive oil. Add crab paste and corn, briefly sauté and pour in vegetable stock and coconut milk. Simmer over medium heat for about 20 minutes and puree with a hand blender.
- Fry prawns in remaining 1 tablespoon hot oil for 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and arrange on wooden skewers.
- Cut avocado in half, remove pit, and peel. Cut avocado flesh into cubes. Roughly chop up the eggs.
- Divide soup into 4 bowls and sprinkle with avocado and egg crumbles. Add a prawn-skewer to each soup bowl.