This dish was inspired by a recipe found on the blog CanYouStayforDinner.com. It is pretty much their recipe except for how we use the herbs. Juicy, tender, and delicious – we love roast chicken!
Butter Roasted Sage Chicken
- 5 lb whole chicken, preferably organic
- 1 lemon, halved
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened to room temperature
- 12 fresh sage leaves
- 1 apple, cut in half
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Rinse and pat chicken dry. Remove the giblets and place the halved lemon and apple inside your bird.
- Gently loosen and lift the skin from the meat of the bird. Use your fingers to rub the butter herb mixture into the flesh of the bird- making sure to cover as much area as you can.
- Slip in the sage leaves under the skin
- Return the chicken skin to cover all of the exposed flesh.
- Roast for 17 minutes per pound. A 5 lb chicken will roast for about 1 hour 25 minutes.
- Let it rest on a cutting board for 15 minutes before carving.