A while ago we presented our exclusive interview with the authors of Eating Delancey: A Celebration of Jewish Food by Aaron Rezny and Jordan Schaps. Today we get to share another of amazing recipes from the bookn– a true New York classic: The 2nd Ave Deli Matzo Balls.
The 2nd Ave Deli Matzo Balls
Recipe Courtesy of Eating Delancey: A Celebration of Jewish Food
Serves 10 – 12
- 1 1/2 cup matzo meal
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup schmaltz
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Fill a large, wide stockpot 3/4 full of water, add 1 tablespoon of the salt and bring to rapid boil
- While water is boiling, crack eggs in to a large bowl and beat thoroughly.
- Beat in schmaltz, salt, pepper, and baking powder. Slowly fold in matzo meal, mixing vigorously until completely blended.
- Wet hands, and folding the mixture in your palms, shape perfect balls about 1 1/4 inches in diameter (they will double in size when cooked).
- Gently place the matzo balls in the boiling water, and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 25 minutes .
- Remove with a slotted spoon and place 1-2 in each bowl of soup. Serve immediately.