Every time I have stuffed mushrooms at a restaurant I promise myself to make them with my next Italian romantic meal. They are so tasty and easy to make. Here is one of the simplest recipes to get started. You should experiment a few times adding different ingredients like finely chopped garlic, mozzarella cheese, crab, finely chopped shrimp, and so on. Have fun with it! Stuffed mushrooms can be served as an appetizer or side dish.
Italian-Style Stuffed Mushrooms
- 1/2 cup Italian-style bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil 2 cloves garlic, minced 12 large white mushrooms for stuffing, cleaned and stemmed
- Reserve stems, finely chop
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, mix together bread crumbs, cheese, garlic, parsley and choppd mushroom stems.
- Add oil a little bit at a time until the breadcrumb mixture is “wet” – be careful the mixture doesn’t turn “soggy”. Place mushrooms on a baking pan and fill each mushroom cap with the mixture.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until tops are browned.
- Remove from the oven, plate, and serve while hot