Let’s keep things simple . . . its always a good thing. Keeping things simple and deliciously tasteful – even better. Here we have an elegant starter – a luscious cream of asparagus soup. This can be served as your main course or as an enticing starter for a two or three course romantic meal for two. To help make things easier the day of your romantic rendezvous, the soup can be made the day before. Serve with warm, crusty bread and a glass of white wine. Ahhh, the simple pleasures in life.
NOTE: Today we can buy asparagus many months throughout the year. However, when asparagus season is upon us – May through June on the East Coast, the flavor is more sublime and at its best. As the asparagus ages, it loses its sugar and develops a stronger, more pronounced “asparagus” flavor.
Homemade Cream of Asparagus Soup
- 2 bunches large asparagus
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 16 oz. vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Chop asparagus and steam until tender.
- In a large stock pot over medium heat, sauté onions in olive oil until soft and translucent.
- Add asparagus pieces and salt and pepper. Sauté all together for about 7-8 minutes.
- Stir in the vegetable broth and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Next we’ll blend together all of the ingredients. You can use an immersion blender right in the pot, or very CAREFULLY transfer the contents of the pot to your blender – do this in batches filling the blender about 2/3 full. Puree until it reaches the preferred consistency. If you like it somewhat chunky you will blend less, if you like a silky smooth consistency, blend longer.
- Blend in the heavy cream and serve immediately