It’s time to go Dutch. Dutch baby pancakes with apple compote that is. I just love this recipe! When you want a special breakfast or brunch date – you have to give this a try. Just put the pancake in the oven and watch it grow. It’s up to you whether you serve this beautiful dish with coffee or champagne – you can go either way.
Check out our video to see how much fun it is to prepare this dish:
Dutch Baby Pancakes with Apple Compote Recipe
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled & chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Combine the apples, lemon juice, sugar, and cinnamon in a saucepan and cook over low heat until the apples are tender.
- Set aside until ready to use
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup sifted flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Add the butter to an oven-safe 12″ cast iron skillet and place in the oven to melt.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, eggs, milk, salt and nutmeg well. Remove the skillet from the oven and pour the batter in.
- Place the skillet on top of a baking sheet and then place back in the oven for 10-12 minutes until the sides have risen and the edges of the pancake are golden brown.
- Remove from oven
Plating the Dish
- Spoon the apple compote into the pancake. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve