Serve your sweetheart an edible rose for Valentine’s Day. And why not? Romance and roses go hand-in-hand and your lover will swoon over this gorgeous, crispy rose potato side dish. The process is very similar to making Apple Rose Tarts – both recipes are worthy of a romantic meal for two. I would say this recipe is for beginners to pros. With such an easy dish – who can resist?
If I had a single flower for every time I think about you, I could walk forever in my garden ~Claudia Ghandi
Romantic Potato Roses
- 5lbs red potatoes, wash and pat dry
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Wash and peel potatoes. Slice potatoes 1/8″ thick using a mandoline to get consistent slices.
- TIP: Make one rose and test it in your muffin tin. If you have a small tin, you may need less slices to fill the tin. If your tin is larger – you may need more.
- In large bowl, combine all ingredients, evenly coating all potato slices
- Lightly spray or grease a muffin pan, set aside
- Lay out about 12 potato slices in a row overlapping one another about 1/4 of each slice
- Working from the top and rolling towards you, carefully roll the potato slices to the end
- Push the potato rose into the grease muffin tin
- Bake for 35 – 40 minutes until the top edges of the potato roses are crisp and potato is cooked through – you can test this by pulling a petal away from one rose.
- Remove from oven and serve at once!
- NOTE: I left the skin on the potato, if you prefer, you can peel the potatoes first – it works both ways